Made from 100% cotton muslin, this single layer sleeping bag is perfect for warm weather. Aden + Anais are known for their products that become softer after washing, and the original cotton muslim sleep bag is no exception. Safer than loose blankets, this wearable blanket offers both comfort and breathability. With a TOG rating of 0.6, it is best suited for room temperatures from 75 to 81 degrees, a higher temperature range than most on the market. You probably won’t be using this one during the winter months.
Material and Warmth
This Aden + Anais product is manufactured from a single layer of 100% open weave cotton muslin. It is best for warmer weather and should be considered over most if you live in a climate that has hot nights or even a baby who naturally gets hot easily. In comparison, the Grobag baby sleep bag (and most others on the market) are too hot for baby after 73 degrees, but the Aden + Anais muslin bag provides breathability and comfort on those warm hot nights in homes with air conditioning. This style is also available in organic cotton and bamboo. With the exact same design as the cotton muslin fabric, the bamboo sleeping bag is even lighter for warmer temperatures.
If you’re looking for something warmer, Aden + Anais also makes a 4-layer cotton muslin version called the Cozy Muslin Sleeping Bag.
The Aden + Anais classic muslin sleep sack is available in four sizes. Be aware that this material has a tendency to shrink some after the first wash so it’s best to err on the larger side.
- Small – Up to 6 months, 23 to 28 inches, 10 to 18 lbs
- Medium – 6 to 12 months, 26 to 31 inches, 15 to 24 lbs
- Large – 12 to 18 months, 30 to 34 inches, 22 to 28 lbs
- Extra Large – 18 to 24 months, 35 to 38 inches, 26 to 36 lbs
Design and Features
The original Aden + Anais Muslin Sleeping Bag comes in 24(!) different designs ranging from cute to trendy. Our favorites are “Jungle Jive” and either of the polka dot patterns. With its signature “the more you wash, the softer they get”, this product does not disappoint in terms of its softness and breathability. It is designed to be worn over your child’s pajamas, is sleeveless, and zips up the front from bottom to top. There is also a muslin cover for the zipper, eliminating the worry of scratching baby’s face.
What We Like
- Ideal for warmer climates and babies who get hot easy
- Gets softer the more you wash it
- Huge selection of stylish prints from baby cute to trendy
What We Don’t Like
- Zipper is small and tears from fabric. This can be unsafe as the bag may bunch and twist, so make sure you check it occasionally for small tears at the seams
- Material is difficult to repair if needed
- Extra steps and possibly a new detergent for laundering (Aden + Anais has a laundry line for their products)
If you live in a climate with warm nights over 74 degrees, have no A/C, or if your child get hot easily, this sleep sack is a good option. It is lighter than almost all of its competitors in the under $50 price range. While this wearable blanket is more breathable than most, the disadvantage is that it is not very durable with normal wear and tear and requires special laundering attention. However, if you want one of the softest and lightest sleep sacks on the market, the Adan + Anais Sleeping Bag may be for you. You may also want to consider the HALO cotton sleeping sack as well.